[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Two question regarding meteor rates?

> If I'm understanding the information plotted correctly, peak night-time
> (22:00 to 04:00 local time) sporadic rates, for the northern hemisphere,
> are expected at solar longitude 260 - 270 degrees (December) and minimum
> night-time sporadic rates are expected at solar longitude 80 - 90
> degrees (June).

Yes, that sums it up very well.

> The ITU-R recommendation P.843.1, which covers meteor burst propagation,
> suggests a northern hemisphere sporadic rate for August, which is four
> times the February rate. This presumably covers both day-time and night-
> time activity. They don't provide any reference for this conclusion and
> it could simply be incorrect.

There are a number of significant streams in this part of the years,
including some daylight sources. Perhaps these contribute.

> >With regard to fireball reports showing a peak in March to early April: I
do
> >not know whether statistics really point this out. In fact, if I look at
the
> >published MORP data (Halliday et al., Met. & Plan. Science 31 (1996),
> >185-217) there is no such peak apparent.
>
> Couldn't find the MORP data online, but did find this page with
> background information on the MORP network.

This is available through NASA-ADS as well, as all Meteoritics / Meteoritics
& Planetary Science papers are:
http://adsabs.harvarddot edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1996M%26PS...31..185
H&db_key=AST&high=406821112d12200

> >But at one time the "April bolides" were a hype, and indeed lead to
> >incraesed observational activity, which lead to incraesing numbers of
> >reports for that period.
> >

> Interesting. I have seen a few fireballs at this time of year and this
> could also be slanting my perception of the number of reports.

Of course there is the Virginid complex in this part of the year, but that
stretches much longer than just late March-early April.

- Marco

Follow-Ups: References: