[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report April 27, 2004 5:25AM : Denver, CO (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn@atmob.org>
Subject: Fireball Report April 27, 2004 5:25AM : Denver, CO
Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

----

Your Town/State/Country? Denver, CO USA

Date of fireball? April 27, 2004

Time of fireball? 5:25AM

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? 210

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? 030

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 3-4

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  xxx

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 30-40

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  moon+

Did it have any color(s)? green

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  no, didn't fall apart.  Looked more like a flare

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  too dark to tell

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being

VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  3

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  no

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  Denver, CO

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  I was exiting I-25 northbound, at I-70 in Denver, CO. The exit ramp is rather
long, and parallel to I-25.  This is very close to running true north.  I was on
a motorcycle, and the ball became visible as it came from the SW into view in
the upper left side of the helmet.  So it may have been visible long before
that.

As soon as I noticed it, I saw a billowing smoke trail.  The center of the ball
was pale green and may have had a yellowish color in the tail.   The sun was not
up yet, and not quite enough light to tell if the trail lingered.  I
specifically looked for this.  It dimmed rather sudden to a point about as
bright as Saturn or Jupiter, lasted a couple seconds, then went out.  Total time
4 seconds or so. The fire went out about  30deg up, but it is  difficult to tell
how high off the horizon because of overpasses in the line of sight.   It had
the illusion it would fall on Greeley, CO or just east of there.