[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) M57

>RA/DEC:  18 hours, 51.7 minutes.  32 degrees and 58 minutes north
>(Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Volume Two) .
>attempt in finding it.  I couldn't get the ring; I only saw a faint
>globe about 3' across.  It was beautiful!  A must see for everyone!
>It was my second nebula seen, M42 being the first, the most famous
>nebula.  I sure would like to see this in a light bucket

you don't need high aperture to view this object, M57 as a ring. i can
clearly make it out as a ring
in a 60mm scope.. 70-80mm is easier. It takes repeated viewing actually, a
view from a dark site,
moonless night would have been better. You can try a nebula filter from the
city, which helps
somewhat too..a UHC filter is best for that aperture.

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade User Group: mapug@shore.net & NE Weather Watcher Mail
List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)      //     Originator
of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777