[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Problems with Lumicon Sky Vector (and ASTRO)

Please forgive me going through your announce line but for some reason ASTRO
is refusing to accept this message.
Dear List,
I'll try posting this again as my first attempt got bounced and my second
seems to have vanished somewhere.
Having installed the Sky vector, I am having problems finding things with it.
Mechanically the encoders seem to read correctly very small deviation  (0.2
degree)from 360 by complete rotation in azimuth and using a precision
goniometer it read 45 degree elevation when at 45 to vertical setting.
Last night I was looking for objects at high elevation and had great
difficulty in finding anything. Setting on Castor and then Aldebaran the
warp was around 1 degree, about the best I could get mostly, but rotating to
Polaris gave a warp of 3 degrees.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Looking for M15 at much lower
elevation put it right in the centre of the field, was this luck.
I've rather wasted three good clear nights on this and would be grateful for
ideas.

Nick
|   nmartin@bonnyton.u-net.com    |
|"There are more things in heaven and earth ... than are dreamt of in your
philosophy"   (Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5)  |

Bonnyton House, Ayrshire,Scotland, UK. lat 55 24'56" N long 4 26' 00" W
Altitude 150 m.