[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Problems with Lumicon Sky Vector (and ASTRO)

NJ Martin wrote:

> Please forgive me going through your announce line but for some reason ASTRO
> is refusing to accept this message.
> Dear List,
> I'll try posting this again as my first attempt got bounced and my second
> seems to have vanished somewhere.
> Having installed the Sky vector, I am having problems finding things with it.
> Mechanically the encoders seem to read correctly very small deviation  (0.2
> degree)from 360 by complete rotation in azimuth and using a precision
> goniometer it read 45 degree elevation when at 45 to vertical setting.
> Last night I was looking for objects at high elevation and had great
> difficulty in finding anything. Setting on Castor and then Aldebaran the
> warp was around 1 degree, about the best I could get mostly, but rotating to
> Polaris gave a warp of 3 degrees.
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Looking for M15 at much lower
> elevation put it right in the centre of the field, was this luck.
> I've rather wasted three good clear nights on this and would be grateful for
> ideas.
>
> Nick
> *===================================*
> |   nmartin@bonnyton.u-net.com    |
> |"There are more things in heaven and earth ... than are dreamt of in your
> philosophy"   (Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5)  |
>
> Bonnyton House, Ayrshire,Scotland, UK. lat 55 24'56" N long 4 26' 00" W
> Altitude 150 m.
> *===================================*
*********
I have both a sky vector and a jmi and have lived thru about all  the
problems that can be. on the lumicon, caster and aldeberon are to close,
try, capella and deneb, or much later in the evening, capella and rigel.
also do not do to close to the horizon it messes up the algorithms,.
before you do anything make sure there is no sticking, do an encoder
test in both alt and az, if it still does not work, call lumicon tech
support , john has been most helpful to me,
clear skies,
bob