[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Dwarf Galaxy IC10 20" Dobsonian

At 12:15 12/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Oh, I am jealous now, Nick! After reading about IC10 in an old Deep Sky
>article last year, I looked for it with the idea of adding it to my
>supernova hunt. I had the 20" f/5 out last Nov. under the darkest skies
>I've found in New England so far - a mountain campsite near Evans Notch,
>New Hampshire. Visual limiting magnitude hovered near 7.3 (for me), and
>temperatures around +5oF (-15oC). I had accurate charts, tried low power,
>high power, DeepSky filter, UHC (for HII regions), concentrated vision,
>scope jiggling, asked other experienced observers to help: all to NO
>avail... I congratulate you on this one!

My skies never approach an l.m. of 7.3 the six mark is typical. I think the
secret was to follow the line of stars to locate it. The picture in the book
was a definite help as I knew exactly where to look. It is a satisfying
little beast to catch. The movement effect, by the way, was very pronounced
~I jogged the telescope rather hard twice and each time the larger movement
made the galaxy leap out briefly.

>>Finding it. As illustrated in Daivid Eicher's book
>>Galaxies and the Universe (p.13).

The ISBN for the book is 0-913135-14-3. It is priced at $14-95. I bought it
from Broadhurst Clarkson in London at, as British Astronomers will guess,
£14-95.
It is definitely worth the money though. it is distributed in the UK by
Airlife Publishing Ltd., 101 Longden Road, Shrewsbury SY3 9EB, England.

>I've not had a chance to try this book. Is it derived from some of his old
>Deep Sky articles? Do folks find it worthwhile generally for galaxy hunting?
>
>Lew
It is a collection of Deep Sky articles. It really is a find for hunting out
odd objects. It has a whole chapter on M31 and its objects plus another on
local group galaxies. It is a pity Deep Sky ceased independent publication.
I got the positions of the M31 supergiants from there and intend to try for
some of the globulars in M31 - one day. There is a whole chapter on them.

Nick
|   nmartin@bonnyton.u-net.com    |
|"There are more things in heaven and earth ... than are dreamt of in your
philosophy"   (Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5)  |

Bonnyton House, Ayrshire,Scotland, UK. lat 55 24'56" N long 4 26' 00" W
Altitude 150 m.