[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) deep-sky publications

To followup on Brent's response, there is also a fairly good "alternative"
magazine to Sky&Telescope and Astronomy: it's called "Amateur Astronomy", and
it's edited by the founder of Tectron Telescopes in Florida, Tom Clark. The
nice thing about it is that its circulation is very small, and that it is
heavily focused on deep-sky observing, (mostly) larger telescopes, and amateur
activities. Each quarterly issue contains some real observing challenges (a la
the old Deep Sky observing articles), as well as nice write-ups of recent Star
Parties and other events, and some interesting equipment discussions.

My most recent gem from "AA": a gravitational lens which MAY just be visible in
larger-aperture scopes under the darkest skies. It was pointed out to many
observers by Stephen O'Meara (of limiting mag 8.6 fame!) at the '96 Texas Star
Party in a 17", but there's hope that the very darkest areas outside of Texas
might offer a view of it in slightly larger scopes too...

If anyone's interested, contact me privately and I can rustle up the
subscription info for "Amateur Astronomy". Clear skies!

Lew