=========
  + WHY "netastrocatalog-announce"?
  + WHY JUST DEEP-SKY OBJECTS?
  + VARIABLE STARS
  + EMAIL ADDRESSES
  + WEB FORMS

WHY "netastrocatalog-announce"?
===============================
You may have wondered why we are all subscribed to *two lists* instead
of one: 'netastrocatalog', plus this separate 'netastrocatalog-announce'
list? The reason is that the main list ('netastrocatalog@latrade.com')
feeds directly into our searchable Web archive of deep-sky observations!

EVERYTHING sent to the main list is intended to be a *deep-sky log*:
anything sent to this list, on the other hand, does NOT end up in that
Web archive! Instead, the 'netastrocatalog-announce' list is for more
"timely" announcements or discussions, not to mention any observing
questions we want to share with each other.

WHY JUST DEEP-SKY OBJECTS?
==========================
Some folks have also asked in the past why the main 'netastrocatalog'
list (and now the Web forms) are designed JUST for deep-sky objects:
stars, galaxies, clusters, nebulae... Why not planets, moons, comets,
asteroids, zodiacal light, meteors, atmospheric phenomena, the sun??

The answer of course is that these observations ARE welcome! But the
IAAC Web archive (and 'netastrocatalog') are focused on being a long-
term resource for observers of the *deep-sky* - objects which will
"always be there" - as opposed to the more "ephemeral" objects of the
solar system. However, we all do more than one kind of observing!!

So with that in mind, PLEASE share non-deep-sky observations with us
any time! Just be careful to post them to:
        netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com
INSTEAD OF the main 'netastrocatalog' address. And if there is enough
interest, maybe we can set up a separate 'planetobs' mailing list
(complete with Web archive, searching, etc.)? Suggestions welcome.

VARIABLE STARS
==============
Another thing folks may enjoy more of is "informal" variable-star logs.
We've had a few of these, but there must be many more casual variable
observers out there: people whose logs may not be quite up to AAVSO
standards, but who still enjoy viewing interesting variables sometimes?

With that in mind, PLEASE NOTE that variable star logs *are* welcome
in the IAAC Web archive (and so on the main 'netastrocatalog' list)!

EMAIL ADDRESSES
    subscribe netastrocatalog-digest
    end

Posting your own deep-sky observing logs to the list:
    netastrocatalog@latrade.com
Mention object name and observing instrument in your Subject line!

Asking questions, making announcements, discussing observing:
    netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com

Sharing NON-DEEP-SKY observing logs:
    netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com

Searching observing logs for a general keyword:
    majordomo@latrade.com
In the body of the email: "retrieve netastrocatalog <your-keyword>"

WEB FORMS
=========
Subscribing and unsubscribing via the Web:

Posting your own observing logs via the Web:
 http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/enter-log.html

Searching observing logs for an individual object:
 http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/search.html

Searching observing logs for general keywords:
 http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/keysearch.html

Searching DISCUSSION list for general keywords:
 http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog-announce/keysearch.html

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer
owner-netastrocatalog@latrade.com