[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Double Star Observation

At 02:00 18/02/98 PST, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been observing double stars for around three years, during which
>time I have been making visual estimations of separation and position
>angle.  (The methods I use are described in the double star section of
>my site, given below).  However I think I am now in a position to start
>actual measurement using a micrometer, which is where I need help.
>
>I understand I would be able to obtain a filar micrometer from a
>supplier called Retel in England for around #400 - #500, but is it
>really a filar micrometer that I want?  This sort of money is an
>enormous amount to me as I am only 18 years old.  I currently observe
>with a 220mm f/5 Newtonian which, although equatorial, has to be
>transported out whenever I observe.  I have plans to permanently mount
>the telescope soon.  Would the discrepancies each time I set up the
>telescope have a serious impact on the sort of results I obtain with a
>micrometer?
>
>Alternatively, I could use a CCD camera instead of a micrometer,
>although I would seriously doubt that it would provide the sort of
Paul I would suggest you do two things.

1) contact Bob Argyle of the Webb Soc Double star section on
rwa@ast.cam.ac.uk as he will be able to answer all your queries about the
Retel as he uses one

2) if you do not have a permantly mounted an ligned scope then I do not
think you will be able to do much in the way of visual double star work

3) you might try and get a second hand copy of the Webb societies double
star section handbook. We are out of new copies and there will be no more
published.

If you are with the BAA student group then I suggest you get in touch with
Bob anyway as he will be able to give you a hand in this direction