From: owner-netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com
[mailto:owner-netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com]On Behalf Of Celso
Montalvo H.
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 1998 4:53 PM
To: netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com
Subject: Re: Finding objects! (was Re: (IAAC) The Herschel List)

Hola Jonathan:

> Last year, I saw skies around +6.5, +7 LM's. I couldn't identify a
> single constellation, there was so MANY stars! I saw the Milky Way for
> the first time, and it was beautiful!  I understood what was meant when
> people felt overwhelmed by the amount of stars visible!

Ahhh..! This sounds familiar, similar to the times when I am in one of
those pretty nights in Canta, some 300 km from Lima, 3,000+ m above the
sea in the Andes. Looking up is so astounding (no superlative is
enough...!!!) that you can only stare open-mouth with the only wish of
stay laying in the ground enjoying the sight. In this kind of sky it is
dificult to find a way through a finder, and harder to find the way
through the telescope as the big amount of stars seen blurs any
preconcibed star pattern.

These days Canta is being deadly attacked by the "El Niqo" floods and
rains.

Saludos.
--
Celso Montalvo