[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 1981 - Inst: 7x50 handheld binoculars

I noticed that, Nick! In fact, while I was typing in that log, I checked the
Digital Sky Survey for that area... There was n1981: 10 or so very bright stars
all in a pretty pattern. But beneath them there was nothing but FAINT (mag 14+)
field stars - no real cluster at all! And the huge roiling mass of nebulosity
immediately to the south (around 42 Orionis) just seemed to stop short, well
below the boundary of 1981. Weird indeed - I wonder if this cluster is actually
set amid a mass of dark nebulosity?

Clear skies,
Lew