[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) DSO observers software

At 10:03 AM 3/12/98 -0500, Lew Gramer wrote the following to the IAAC -
NetAstroCatalog deep-sky observing mailing list:

>The Luginbuhl & Skiff observations are available in electronic format??

Yes. They are available via anonymous FTP from:

ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/bas/deepsky

Last I checked they were complete up to Leo Minor alphabetically, with a
couple other constellations done as well. The format is pretty rough, as
you can see when you take a look at them, but it is not at all difficult to
figure them out; they are not in code, just in a stripped-down, mostly
vowel-free English.

>Brian, would you consider it polite if we viewed them - or were
>they pirated somehow?

They were not pirated; these were put together from Brian himself (as you
could guess by the URL, I suppose).

I can't speak for Brian, and I don't know if he is on this list or not. The
e-mail I received from him about this obviously went to many other people
(he opened with "folks"; when he writes me he opens with "Jeff" or
whatever, and there were indications of a bcc distribution list in the
header). I do not know that the presence of these observations is
considered to be 'public knowledge', as I did not see him announce this on
public forums such as s.a.a., for example.

But I believe that I am not betraying any confidences by telling this list
that it is there. This group is pretty small and harmless, it would seem.
;-) Just in case I am doing a bad turn, I have bcc'ed Brian with this mail
so he will know who to blame.

--
Jeff Medkeff          | Acting Assistant Coordinator
Rockland Observatory  | Association of Lunar and Planetary

On the web at http://shutter.vet.ohio-state.edu/