[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (IAAC) Thoughts on Data Sources (was: Basel 11B etc, etc.)

Jeff,
	I've read Brian's article.  As for the PN G designations (Yes, I knew about
the space.  Excuse me for overlooking it.), when I made many of my
observations I had no atlases that gave those designations.  Probably many
amateurs still don't have atlases that list objects by PN G.  I am not under
the illusion that my articles are going to be read by professionals.  I just
like to show folks that there are a wealth of objects accessible to very
modest size telescopes.  So my question is, what designation is an amateur
most likely to find if he wants to look up something about the object?  Even
an ApJ article from this year is still calling the planetary DDDM-1.
	To an even greater extent (since I think few observers are clamoring to see
DDDM-1) I have similar concerns with regard to PK versus PN G.  Uranometria,
Millenium, and Sky Atlas 2000.0 plot these objects by PK.  So who am I writing
for?  As for the period in the PK designations, if you try searching MegaStar
and leave the period out it will tell you "Object not found.".  Once again, I
want folks to find these things.  I have no idea whether a "pointless" PK
designation would turn up an object in other software since I don't have any.
Uranometria, Millenium, and Sky Atlas 2000.0 all use the period.
	OCs can be tough.  The "Catalogue of Open Clusters and Associations" lists
most OCs you can think of simply as OC1, OC2 and so on.  It also gives
alternate names.  You will frequently see several designations listed for the
same object.  For example, an OC might have a Trumpler, a Collinder, and a
Harvard designation.  I know of no on-line version of the catalogue, but then
I never looked.
	Regardless, thanks for your input.  After a trip to the Dudley Observatory
library next week, I'm sure the library visit and the information you gave me
will allow me to doctor the article accordingly.  Interestingly, I only looked
at DoDz 1 because of its designation.  Whenever I notice one, I like to try to
observe an object that bears the number 1 in its designation.
									Clear skies,  Sue