[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Deep sky designations

At 10:21 PM 3/14/98 -0500, you wrote:

>In the mean time, please do forward whatever cross-referencing
>data you can conveniently send.

Ok, Lew, after a couple hours writing some really primitive
number-crunching programs, I seem now to have a valid database of 1,214
open clusters. The base work was the Lynga catalog (but that has now
changed beyond recognition), and the Ruprecht and Alter open cluster
catalogs have been brought into play as well, and the NGC2000 was used too.
The Saguaro Astronomy Club Database has been helpful for error checking,
and a couple other uses, and data from that database is 'riding piggyback'
for the time being.

More importantly, my embryonic "catalog" contains 638 cross-references for
about 300 of the open clusters, and I have another 800 or so
cross-references (mostly very obscure) to add - which should not take too
long. At this point I need help from some real experts, like Sue French and
the others on this list.

I would like to check my cross-referencing for out-of-bounds designations -
this is the next step to insuring the data retains its integrity after all
my processing. To do this, I need to know the lowest and highest numbers
represented in the catalogs listed below. I will be able to get some of
these catalogs and journal tables at the KPNO library next week, but I am
pretty certain not all will be available.

Antalova
Auner
Aventi-Hunter
Baraktova
Basel
Berkeley
Biurakan
Blanco
Bochum
Collinder
Czernick
Danks
Dolidze
DoDz
Feinstein
Frolov
Graff
Graham
Grasdalen
Haffner
Harvard
Havlen-Moffat
Hogg
Iskudarian
King
Latysev
Loden
Lynga (the *old* Lynga, not the new one)
Markarian
Mayer
Melotte
Moffat
Muzzio
Pismis
Roslund
Stock
Tombaugh
Trumpler
Upgreen
Van den Bergh
Van den Bergh - Hagan

If anyone knows (or can easily find out) the lowest and highest numbers
listed in any of these old catalogs and could e-mail the information to me,
I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

--
Jeff Medkeff          | Acting Assistant Coordinator
Rockland Observatory  | Association of Lunar and Planetary

On the web at http://shutter.vet.ohio-state.edu/