[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Thoughts on Data Sources (was: Basel 11B etc, etc.)

Just for the record, longer lists of aliasses are included in the following
online sources:

   http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/   Nasa Extragalactic Database, NED
   http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad/  Simbad database

Unfortunately, neither is complete (e.g., look for the name SagDEG for
the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy which was assigned to the 1994
discovered galaxy by its discoverers; one has it as "Sagittarius Dwarf"
[which may be confused with SagDIG] the other as "Sgr 1 Dwarf" [dito] ;-)
sorry forgot which had which), but it is _some_ stuff ..

Btw, some time ago I've started to include a list of catalogs with names for
DSO's in the Messier pages under

    http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/supp/cats.html

which is still far from comprehensive, and sometimes contains little more
than just the catalog names and abbrevations .. if anyone has more info for
the one or other I'd appreciate any help (and will check for Jeff's online
reference).

- hartmut