[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Lunar Occultations

At 09:57 AM 3/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone in the group spent much time observing lunar occultations of
>the planets or stars?

Lunar occultations are one of the foundations of my research observations
these days - or at least they were until I broke my clicker and decided I
had better get into video observing anyway. I probably observed ten to
twenty occultations a month before that happened, and tried for three or
four grazes a year. (1998 is a bad graze year for my part of the country.)

A good list to talk about lunar occultations is the Shallow Sky Mailing
List, for which you can find information at:

http://www.best.com/~akkana/shallow-sky.html

Pop on over there and I am sure you can lure me into a discussion of the
discipline of lunar occultation observing, the preparations needed, the
calculation of the phenomena, and so on. Over here, I feel it is a little
too off-topic for me to get into (unless we are discussing lunar
occultations of open clusters, that is).

--
Jeff Medkeff          | Acting Assistant Coordinator
Rockland Observatory  | Association of Lunar and Planetary

On the web at http://shutter.vet.ohio-state.edu/