[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: M 42, Trapezium - Inst: 25" Obsession

At 10:42 AM 3/17/98 -0500, you wrote:

>[Here's a submission from a non-subscriber. Thanks, Mike! ]
>
>Observer: Mike Wirths
<snip>
>Instrument: 25" Obsession
>Magnification: 105x, 198x, 353x
>Filter(s): none
>Object(s): M 42, Trapezium
>Category: Emission nebula
<snip>
>M=42 had definite colour on this cold March night. The central
>Trapezium having a distinct blueish-green cast to it and the
>outlying areas having a pinkish tint.
>Even at low mags the e and f components were visible in the
>trap. At higher mags g was visible during moments of better
>seeing. Also up to 12-14 very faint reddish stars were to be
>seen in the area outlying the trapezium. Hours could be spent
>drawing all the detail to be seen at the eyepiece!
>--
Interesting colour record, the red colouration seems to need about 20" and
above to see clearly. However a member at my local astronomy society meeting
last night has seen traces of red colour with a 12".
Nick
Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland, U.K.
Latitude 55 24'55" Longitude 4 26'00".