[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Green Meteors and optical rods.

Hello Lew and group,

Interesting thoughts about the different variations in colors you have
received in your meteor showering surveys.....

For the most part, "my" meteors are whiteish, greyish, or perhaps
orangey-yellow,  I have rarely seen the greenish color.  According to my
meteor showering friends,  different showers sometimes provide prominence in
a color group or spectrum, why I don't know, perhaps having to do with the
angle and velocity of entry. I think but correct me if I am wrong, that the
Leonids, for instance, sometimes provide a prominent amount of blue-tinted
meteors.

I have also heard that age and therefore the age of our retinas, rods and
cones, has a lot to do with color perception. My father sees all stars and
even the planets are white.   I have heard instances of astro clubs holding
star parties for kids and 10 year olds exclaiming about the red, pink, blue
and green colors of the Orion nebula.  Being I am not THAT young anymore, I
will settle for the naked-eye reddish tint, and keep my eyes opened for more
green fireballs, or will even take some yellow or orange ones, too:)

Penny