[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Green meteors and optical rods.

I believe I agree with you about meteor showers having distinctively colored
FIREBALLS, Penny! And I'll bet a silver dollar that velocity and entry angle DO
determine some of a meteor's color: not least because they determine how far a
meteor's ionizing influence penetrates into our atmosphere, and therefore what
mix of gases actually gets ionized...

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast correlation between
shower membership and non-fireball colors: for a single observer, there MAY be
a correlation. But over many observers, again, the scatter is huge.

A little off-topic for 'netastrocatalog', I guess - but fun! Maybe you should
try out the OTHER maillist I administer, Penny!  :)

Lew
owner-meteorobs@latrade.com
owner-netastrocatalog@latrade.com