[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Berkley 97 - 24inch F/15

>This was a fascinating observation, Yann! Do you have the opportunity to
>easily
>switch back and forth between intensified and straight-through video views
>when
>you work with this 24"?
>
>Lew

well, in fact it was not so easy, but having observed some objects visually
and observed the same objects with the intensified system, I found that the
magnitude limits where the quite the same.
The advantage is that the visual process is tiring for the brain and
requires a lot of effort, compared to the easily seen details on a video
screen. Compared with CCD images, the intensified ones are much more
realistic: the video camera was on a 1/6th second exposure sequence and so
the seeing degrading somewhat the image rendered a reality that is absent
on fixed ccd images.

we had some great moments with this system some friends and I; one of us
stayed under the dome with the telescope and camera (changing filters and
exposure, and moving the dome) and the rest of us in a "control room" next
to the dome, moving the telescope from targets to targets and seeing with a
TV monitor.

Some intensified images can be seen on my site

http://pegase.unice.fr/~skylink/publi/cielextreme

but most are bad quality reproductions (directly scanned 24x36mm negatives).

clear skies, Yann.

Yann Pothier	tel: 01 43 41 43 29
11 impasse Canart, 75012 PARIS, FRANCE
Email: ypothier@abi.snv.jussieu.fr