[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Eye vs CCD

Lew,

I'm back after a holiday.

Thanks for your note on visual observing. Interestingly I got a comment from
Jonathan Shanklin, comet director of the BAA that probably visual observers
could see better details in the inner coma of ordinary comets than camera or
CCD; also that my drawings showed detail no one else had seen so far (bit
awkward for comfirmation though). We did work out that it might be useful to
evaluate how the duration of observations influences the detail seen.

Jonathan suggested trying making drawings of objects after say 5, 15, 30 or
even 60 minutes observing to record any increase in detail seen. Would you
be interested in participating in such an experiment and again a sting, can
you suggest nebulous objects with detail with a range of visibility but
not too much detail so it is difficult to record? Would it be worth posting
this idea on announce? [Obivously, I thought so! ;>]

Sadly my skies have been cloudy for weeks now.
Yours,
Nick
Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland, U.K.
Latitude 55 24'55" Longitude 4 26'00".