[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Supernova

At 02:21 PM 4/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I've recently become interested in observing supernova. I've only had a
>chance to see one. I'm going to try for another as soon as I the skies
>clear in this area. I have a question. The recently discovered supernova
>I've been reading about all seem to have similar brightening and dimming
>patterns. Is there actually a pattern or is it just coincidence? It
>seems to me the recent supernova brighten and dim over a period of maybe
>a month.
>
>Harold Williams
>Head Astronomer & Janitor
>Northeast Philadelphia Deep Sky Observatory

Two nights ago I managed to observe both supernovae with my 20", both
appeared very distinct in their respective galaxies and very satisfying
objects definitely recommended viewing.
I did compare their brightneses with field stars but have no way of
converting these to magnitude estimates, any suggestions anyone.
Nick