[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Iridium 51

This may not exactly fit in here but is well worth taking a look at. A
few minutes ago, I observed Iridium 51 from Philadelphia, PA. My finder
chart said it would be a -5 magnitude. I figured I might actually have a
chance to see this one over all the light pollution in the area. Right
at the predicted time and location, there it was and much brighter than
expected. It was much brighter than any star in the sky. It must have
been somewhat spectacular from a dark location. It started as a dim
point of light quickly brightening and then fading. The whole time could
have been no more than 10 to 15 seconds.

Harold Williams
Head Astronomer & Janitor
Northeast Philadelphia Deep Sky Observatory