[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy?

>Hi all,
>:As much as I champion binocular observing (I own 9x63's, 10x50's and
>:20x80's and use them often) I have to agree with Penny, providing that you
>:are already somewhat familiar with the sky and have an easily accessible
>:dark site.  However, let  me up the ante by suggesting to you to save a bit
>:more money and get an 8" f/6 Dob instead.
>
>DAVE-- I second that motion!  An eight inch will give more light gathering
>capabilites, and reel in more faint objects.
>
>Budget for at least one short focal
>:length (i.e. "high" power) Ploessl, Koenig, or orthoscopic eyepiece of
>:about 10 to 12mm, a Barlow lens and a finder scope and/or Telrad or similar
>:1x refles sight aiming device.
>
>Yes, that too.  I enjoy my low power (26mm) Plossl, I use it most over other
>ones.  I have to also say that people instantly think power power power will
>make you see more. What you want is a LARGE aperture in your primary mirror.
>Higher powered eyepieces only do good with planetary objects, and are not
>necessarily great for deep sky, which needs a wider field to seek out and
>find extended deepsky objects.
>
>And get a good observing guide (Phil
>:Harrington's _The Deep Sky: An Introduction_ is as good as any that I've
>:seen) and a star atlas (Tirion's Bright Star Atlas 2000.0 would be an
>:inexpensive one to start out with).
>
>I use Peterson's Guide to the Stars and Planets and know people who have it
>in their glove compartment. It's a good pocket guide and easy to read and
>understand.
>
>Good suggestions all, Dave!
>
>Penny
>:
>:Look to the skies,
>:Dave Mitsky
>:ASH, DVAA
>:ASH S4 Star Party  8/21-22/98  Duncannon, PA (contact Joe O'Haren at
>:joharen@paonline.com

Penny,

Most telescopes come equipped with one eyepiece of about 25mm so I felt no
need to belabour the obvious.  Actually, a 32mm Ploessl or Koenig (or 30mm
Ultima or Ultrascopic for that matter) is another eyepiece that everyone
that is limited to 1.25" oculars should have.  Obviously, one uses low
power to first locate an object.

While there are a handful of deep-sky objects that require low power to be
fully appreciated, the fact remains that there are thousands of globular
clusters, nebulae, and small galaxies that are best seen at higher
magnifications.  There are of course many factors involved here (aperture,
seeing, experience, etc.).  (I regularly use 17 and 20" scopes at powers of
118 to 324x for deep-sky observing.  Viewing M13 at 324x through a large
telescope is a wonderful experience.)   The low power=deep-sky observing
myth has been addressed by many people in recent years.

You're quite right about the incomparable Peterson Guide.

Dave

P.S.  Make that reflex (not refles) sight!