[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

>Dave,
>    Penny may have mentioned some objects that have their strong points in
>large apertures, but I was referring to objects between 1.50 and 90 across.
>
>Clear skies,  Sue

Sue,

Yes, I understand that completely.  Obviously, some objects are too large in angular size to be viewed as a whole through a large telescope.  And some can only be seen in their entirety through just a handful of properly equipped rich-field telescopes.  And some can only be seen with binoculars.  And a few can only be seen with the naked eye.

But there is another side to the story.  I am sure that you are aware that many small galaxies are below the threshold of visibility until they are magnified enough to activate the complex physiological workings of the eye-brain system.  A small scope will be unable to supply enough magnification and enough light gathering for this to take place.

Dave

O.K., so I lied about my last message being my final word on the matter.