[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

Dave;

Being one of the folks who mis-interpreted the original intent of
this thread, I appologize for continuing to drag you toward a
subject that is definately been talked about again and again.

To make some of the same point that Dave is shooting for, I would
mention my project of the last 2 years.  Even though I have notes
on over 2000 deep sky objects, I found that the notes for some of
the more famous objects consisted of "WOW" and not much more.
So, I set out out to spend some time with the brightest objects
in the sky and made a listing from the SAC database.  I promised
myself to really observe these showpieces at a variety of powers
and filters on the best of evenings.  My "bright objects" project
has been really a joy.  Of all the years I had spend glancing at
Orion Neb, Andromeda, Lagoon, etc., etc.  I really hadn't observed
them with the purpose of taking several paragraphs of notes about
what I was seeing in the eyepiece.

Recently, I have spent some time in Virgo and Leo.  What time
EL Nino would allow.  I have re-discovered several excellent
galaxies and double stars that I had not observed in many years.
Really using 150X and up to get the maximum detail has really
shown me lots about these galaxies that I had not seen before.
All in all, it has been a  great project I would recommend it
for anyone looking for something to do next time out.  Spend an
hour with an old favorite and watch what happens.

Clear Skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Follow-Ups: References: