[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Fellow Orion user

> Hi Penny,
>
>      My name is Brad and I live in Fort Collins, Colorado.  I was reading
> some of the IAAC archives and noticed that you have an Orion 8" DSE.  I
> recently purchased the 10" DSE and was very pleased to hear that you have
> been able to pick out some of the deep sky objects I'm wanting to see.  I've
> been desperately searching for galaxies in the Virgo cluster and also M81/82
> recently, but to no avail and I was getting nervous that maybe I bought the
> wrong telescope.  I'm thinking now that maybe my problem is just light
> pollution.  I live in a city of about 100,000 and deal with several annoying
> streetlights on my block.  Do you live in a rural area?  Would I have better
> luck if I packed up and headed out of town?  I also have the 26mm Plossel
> (sp) eyepiece.  Is this the one I should be using for viewing galaxies like
> M81/82?  Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

  I live in downtown Philadelphia. I use an 8" Celestron SCT with, for the
  most part, a 12mm Nagler and a 22mm Panoptic (the Panoptic is on the
  scope most of the time). A couple of months ago I was able to find one
  galazy in the Virgo cluster, but I've never found another. Yet, I seem
  able to locate M81/M82 almost at will, I think because they are higher
  in the sky. The variability of the skies and the general hit or miss
  nature of this whole endevour becomes a major part of the wonder, as far
  as this newbie can tell. Don't despair: you'll see it all in time. The
  levels of possible interest seem to be bottomless.

  Gary

Follow-Ups: References: