[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

Penny Fischer wrote:

> Hi Yan, Dave, etc.
>
> Dave,
>
> :>Have you ever seen any of the objects that you mentioned through a large
> :>telescope equipped with a 2" wide-field eyepiece?
>
> Of course I have, and of course I consider the view stunning. But as I have
> been saying, Dave, my preference is towards low power, and I have also be
> reiterating that it's an objective choice.  In fact, I do some of my most
> rewarding viewing using binocs only.  I prefer high power for planetary.
>
>  I hope we are not starting a war, but just having a healthy discussion.  If
> I failed to read your note thoroughly, then I am sorry. But we were
> originally talking beginner here.
>
> Not all of us have the resources to buy 2 inch eyepieces,  I wish I did, and
> I wish I had the resources to purchase all the lovely optical equipment you
> mentioned, but I don't.

Penny,

I believe that you meant to say that it's a subjective choice (i.e., using low
power).  And it is.  And I do a fair amount of  rich-field (with an 80mm f/5
refractor) and binocular observing myself.  But my subjective choice is
preferring high power views of those deep-sky objects that can "handle" the
magnification through a telescope that supplies enough light to make this
possible.

As I recall this all started with your assertion that one should not use high
magnification while deep-sky observing.  For small, undriven scopes being used
without wide-field oculars that is true enough, since the image will be too dim
and the object won't stay in view very long.  And let me make it perfectly clear
that I'm not talking about viewing large open clusters such as M44, M45, or NGC
752 here.  However, in the case of large aperture telescopes that have drives
high magnifications can be used on deep-sky objects when appropriate.  (Large,
extended objects such as the North American Nebula are obviously not appropriate
targets.)  Since there are enough misconceptions, half-truths, and downright
myths involved with amateur astronomy as it is, we should be careful not to make
misleading, blanket statements to novices.

You don't need to buy any astronomical equipment at all if you are fortunate
enough to live near an astronomy club that has rental scopes or an observatory.
:-)

Dave