[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) FWD: More info re: Gyulbudaghian's Nebula

------- Forwarded Message
From: "Art Russell" <artrussell@mindspring.com>
To: <bigdob-l@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 09:47:00 -0500
Subject: Gyulbudaghian's Nebula
Cc: driddle941@aol.com, deepsky@mindspring.com

Rich Jakiel and Dave Riddle recently posted a question on the AAA (Atlanta
Area Astronomer's Listserver about the identity of Gyulbudaghian's Nebula. I've
reposted the pertinent sections here for consideration.

Bottom Line: Has anybody with the really "Big Dobs" tried for this puppy?  Any
Luck? Any takers?

RICH:
I was digging around the Vicker's CCD atlas (north)and I stumbled upon a
weird little nebula. Called "Gyulbudaghian's Nebula", its a variable
'cometary' nebula.

For those fools who want to see it, here's the FitsView generated
coordinates (based on SkyView downloaded images):

RA 20 45 58.5
Dec +67 58 19.6

It looks around 15 -16th magnitude (v), so rather difficult for the
visual observers. However, it has an interesting shape and seems to be
imbedded in a LSB cloud of bright nebulosity. It should make a good CCD
target.

 - Rich Jakiel

Dave's Response:
 Hi all
    The nebula Rich refers to is also catalogued as the Herbig-Haro object
HH215, the result is a supersonic ' jet '  originating in an accretion disc
of a contracting protostar and slamming into the surrounding interstellar
medium causing bright knots of shocked material . This small bipolar nebula is
illuminated by the variable star PV Cephei - a member of the odd nebular
variable star class  . HH 215 resembles the classic variable bipolar nebula NGC
2261 ( Hubble's Variable Nebula ) as it varies in brightness and shape and its
spectrum is a state of continual  change . Martin Cohen also lists the nebula
in his 1980 list of ' Red and Nebulous Objects in Dark Clouds  ' with the note
that the nebula at times has completely disappeared only to reappear in a
matter of years .The brief description of the RNO 125 from Cohen's paper
calls this object ' a cometary fan , faint red star ( involved ) ' .

The name ' Gyulbubaghian's nebula ' originates from a paper published in
' Soviet Astronomy Letters ' ( 1977 ) listing newly discovered cometary
nebula .  As far as I know , nobody has ever glimpsed a Herbig-Haro Object
visually - I've tried several of the brighter members in Aquila and Puppis
using an 18 " scope with no claims of success.

Perhaps with a larger telescope, say a 25" or so , there is some small
chance of seeing this weird nebulosity . ;-)

Dave Riddle

------------
Clear Skies!

Art Russell