[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

>At 01:37 PM 6/8/98 -0400, Lew wrote:
>>I also have a very wide-field eyepiece (about 55')
>
>What eyepiece is this and don't you get terrible coma?
>Nick

No, I really don't! It's a 35mm Panoptic, which with a 20" f/5 gives about 72x.
With an AFOV (apparent field of view) of 65 degrees on the Panoptic, this works
out to about 54' actual field and 7mm exit pupil.

And, believe it or not, the views are ALWAYS both crisp and bright right to the
edge of that field. I generally mistrust expensive astrogizmos (I respect AP
and TeleVue refractors, but would NEVER buy one - and don't even get me started
on Questar.) But there is a real good reason why TeleVue's Nagler and Panoptic
oculars cost so much: they work! :)

Clear skies,
Lew