[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Remember Epsilon Lyrae???

Hi everyone,

Just to make it clear (not that there was any confusion, I think),
twilight was merely the sky conditions at the time I was observing it; I
didn't purposefully obseve it in twilight to maximise my chances of
seeing it.  I generally agree that doubles are easier to split in high
contrast conditions (ie black sky), especially if the two stars are
magnitudes different: the comes simply fades into the background
otherwise.

With regard to seeing, I've always found that seeing is best in the
early hours of the morning.  I find that just after sunset I really do
get shivering images whereas at about 1am it has calmed down.  I suppose
theoretically this should not be the case though, for after sunset the
air would be sinking over the land and would therefore be stable: but is
this optical stability or just moisture stability?  Is it just moving
air that causes bad seeing? If so, then seeing should be best at times
when the atmospheric motion is at a minimum, in the early hours of the
morning.

I appear to be little confused here then.  Could anyone clear it up at
all?

Clear, steady skies, regardless of time,
Paul.