[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FW: Sorry.. I need your help.

Hi, Shin - don't be sorry! Giving (lots of) opinions about deep-sky observing
is partly what we're here for. ;>

I would say the 8x40 Nature binocular is *OK* for deep-sky observing. But if
you haven't bought it yet, and your girlfriend's MAIN INTEREST is astronomy, I
suggest 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars instead. The 8x40 is designed for sports, bird
watching, etc., but not specifically astronomy.

But a decent pair of 7x50 prism binoculars, with at least full coating, and a
*well-aligned* set of prisms (whether they're BAK or not) can also be had for
under $100, and will give you better views of the Deep Sky.

Now don't expect to explore the galaxies of Virgo or nebulae in Cepheus and
Cygnus with them! (Unless you're a trained observer under DARK skies!) But you
will see many beautiful clusters, asterisms, brighter nebulae, a galaxy or two,
and even the occasional meteor with such an instrument.

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer