[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (IAAC) Observations wanted: NGC 6991

Steve -

I just received an e-mail from Brian Skiff and it appears the listed
position for 6991 is incorrect.  Here's what he has to say:

This is one of those objects where there are problems in modern sources.
The cluster is misplotted or given the wrong position.  An improved center
is 20 54.9  +47 25 (2000); the cluster is about 35' across, so it's a large
rather sparse group.  It lies on the _west_ side of the mag. 6 star in the
field.  All this information comes from Brent Archinal, who is preparing a
book on clusters.
---------
The plotted position for the cluster puts it on the EAST side of the mag 6
star.  I would expect what I saw on the east was just a faint couple of
stars and not the cluster itself.  Megastar shows a small grouping of stars
just west of the mag  6.  I asked Brian if this grouping was included in the
cluster.  I was able to pick out this grouping, but didn't associate it with
6991 due to the listed position.

Eric Greene
Erg@america.net
The Unofficial C-8 Home Page