[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Nebulosity in The Pleiades

I was just about to send the following message when I noticed William's
message, so I guess it answers my question, but here it is anyway....

Dear All,

Last night I had a look at M45 simply to wallow in the darkness of the
night, in my 220mm Newtonian.  I immediately noticed a glow around the
main six stars; nothing bright, but an unmistakable haze particularly in
the immediate vicinity of the stars (ie. not in the centre of the pan of
the saucepan shape).  I had my suspicions that it might be the
reflection nebula, but as the sky was getting hazy I thought I'd check
it wasn't just illuminated atmospheric haze.  So I looked at the stars
of the Coathanger and the Perseus Double Cluster, and they were crisp
with no haze.

So was I seeing the reflection nebula?  I seem to recall Sue French
saying in a reasonably recent posting that she saw it (I forget the
context).  I'd be interested if others have seen it, or if they think it
could still have been atmospheric haze.

Clear skies,
Paul.