[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Barnard's Loop, Naked Eye or Otherwise

Bruce,

:To actually see the Rosette Nebula, try any very low-power field with an
:O-III filter.  Using this combination, it's visible in any scope from an
:80mm (even binocs) on up.  My 8" F/6 used to give a great
:fill-up-your-field view at 37x (35mm eyepiece, 6mm exit pupil). An 8"
:F/5 would have been even better, yielding a little more space around the
:object and giving maximum contrast and exit pupil (7mm). I have to
:admit, were it not for filters, I wouldn't see half the great nebulae up
:there.

Bruce, thanks so much for these great tips. It will probably be a month or
two before the Rosette rises early enough to be able to stay up late enough
:) to see it, but I will keep this one in mind.  My eight inch would do fine
and I can borrow an Oxy filter from someone.  First I will probably try it
with my new UHC and see if I can discern anything.

:I think the Gulf region presents the highest contrast on the NA nebula
:and the sharpest cutoff between nebula and blackness.  If you get a
:chance, try a Shorttube or Pronto at low power with an O-III.
:Beautiful!

I should have done that this week at the starparty.  I viewed through both,
but not at anything extended, we were doing a short of test of scopes for a
friend who is in the market for his first.  I think we used Jupiter just to
compare a bright easy object for clarity and sharpness etc.

:Thanks for your excellent observations and discussion of the Pleiades
::-)

And same back to you!!

Penny

: