[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Barnard's Loop, Naked Eye or Otherwise

From: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>

>From a fairly dark site in south central Pennsylvania I have observed
the Rosette's nebulosity through an O-III filtered 20" f/10 classical
Cassegrain at 127x.

Wow! You surely didn't see the whole thing at once in this rig...

>At the opposite extreme I was able to see a part of NGC 2237 as a dim
glow through my 80mm f/5 Orion ShortTube refractor equipped with a 26mm
Tele Vue Ploessl (15x) and an Orion Ultrablock filter on board the MS
Veendam during the 1998 solar eclipse cruise.  Of course, in the tropics
the Rosette Nebula was much higher in the sky and it was really quite
dark on the ship's upper forward deck.  I've also had some great views
of the Rosette through a variety of instruments at the Winter Star
Party.

These sound more typical I think.  The 80mm Shorttube is a great travel
scope, eh? Good enough for decent views, cheap enough so it doesn't
break your heart if it gets bumped around.

>At this year's Stellafane I had a wonderful view of the North American
Nebula and the Pelican Nebula through Al Nagler's 85mm T V refractor,
35mm Panoptic, and UHC filter.

That sounds right, too. I get just about the whole complex with my
Shorttube and a 22 Panoptic, but what you just described sounds
exquisite.

Bruce Jensen