[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Object: NGC2477(OC) INST: 85mm APO refractor

Sue and Alan French wrote:

>     NGC 2362 I've observed from home, but NGC 2477 is a bit too low to get a
> very good look at here.  I've really enjoyed NGC 2477 at the Winter Star
> Party though.  Here's an observation I logged of 2477 and 2451 through an AP
> Traveler with a 35mm Panoptic:
>
> 3-4-95    7:50 PM EST    Seeing: good    Transparency: good
>     These open clusters make a stunning wide field pair.  NGC 2451 shows ~
> 45 fairly bright to faint stars dominated by one pretty, orange 4th mag gem
> in the center.  The cluster is large an loose, spanning a little under one
> degree.  NGC 2477 presents a lovely contrast as a rich, dense group of
> tightly packed, faint pinpoints of light growing more concentrated toward
> the center.  The group is about one half degree in diameter.
>
> Clear skies,  Sue
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

I've also had some great views of  these two fine open clusters from West
Summerland Key (WSP) and from the upper decks of the MS Veendam this past
February.  Has anyone ever noticed the similarity between NGC 2451 and NGC 2477
and their respective northern Puppis cousins M47 and M46?

Dave Mitsky
ASH, DVAA