[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Asterisms

William L. Schart wrote:

> I am not sure of the protocol regarding asterisms, so I am posting here.
>
> Last night, while searching out open clusters in Canis Major, I noticed
> a pattern of stars near 29 CMa that I promptly dubbed "mini Orion." This
> consisted of 6 faint stars arranged roughly like this:
>
>      *       *
>
>         *  *
>
>      *         *
>
> Has anyone else noticed this pattern?
>
> William
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

Hello All,

This is my first e-mail as a submission.

I am an amateur astro who lives in Sydney, Australia and am a member of
the Astronomical Society of NSW. I have strong interests in both
southern planetaries and double stars.

Regarding William's comments on the asterism surrounding 29 CMa, I just
had a look through the old 7x50's, and I could not see the asterism that
he is referring too. Could a rough estimation of its size be given so it
can be identified?

It is unfortuneate that asterisms are not given much attention, as their
are many wonderful creations in both hemispheres of the sky.

Although I have not see William's creation, does anyone know of the one
that appears surrounding the eastern side of Delta CMa, and includes the
stars 26, 27 and 28 CMa, and another eight or nine stars surrounding
Delta CMa. It appears as a long arc of stars similar to a Corona
Borealis or Corona Australis. I call this asterism "The Dog's Tail".

Another interesting Asterism is a wonderful southern asterism, that a
few of us call " The Golden Horseshoe.". It is centred on 14h 50.0' -66
deg 12' south in the constellation of Circinus. . The brightest
component is the 6.2 mag. star Zeta Circinus, though the 25 stars making
the horseshoe are all visible in binoculars or even a 7.5cm. telescope
using low power. (It even contains the triple star, Innes369!!)

Has any southern astro seen this asterism?

My northern cousins can easily see this either in Sky Cat. 2000.0, but
the best is Uranometria 2000.0 Vol. II.

In regards protocols, I am also unsure on how to post observations of
asterisms.

Note: I have a short list of about twenty new southern asterisms that I
have found over the years.

Do any other astros have similar lists to share? Perhaps a Top 5 ??

Regards and Clear Skies,

Andrew James

Follow-Ups: References: