[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Asterisms

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Penny Fischer" <govega@monmouth.com>
To: <netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com>
Subject: Re: (IAAC) Asterisms
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:43:44 -0500

Lew, William, Andrew, etc

I've seen several really beautiful asterisms around Ursa Major. I think the
reason they are so apparent there is because the Big Dipper is in a
star-poor area, and faint patterns of stars stand out clearly.

There's one asterism near Alkaid or it rather can be called a poor cluster?
It's about a degree away from Alkaid.  I see it every time I star hop to the
Whirlpool.  I haven't seen a name for it.  Is there a name for the cluster?

The reason I think that mini asterisms do not get named is because they
cannot be seen naked eye, most consist of 8th or 9th magnitude stars.

A few months ago (maybe a year ago) S&T ran an article by Phil Harrington
about mini asterisms.  I met the guy at the SJStar Party who found two of
them, one was "The Little Queen" after the W-shaped Cassieopea. The other
was like a Corona Borealis ring shape.

I use asterisms frequently as landmarks when star hopping.  I do notice
them, but then again, I am an avid observer :)

Clear skies!

Penny

------- End of Forwarded Message