[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) [SHALLOW] Options for Beginners, etc.

All,

It is my opinion that serious observation can be done with small
aperture telescope. I didn't used to think that way. But, I bought a
Meade ETX 3.5". I was surprised. I just sold my 10" Newtonian because I
rarely used it anymore.

Harold Williams

Dave Mitsky wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Obviously, small aperture instruments have certain advantages just as do large ones.
>
> I certainly don't agree that at least a 12" is required to do serious observing.  Remember
> what Galileo and Messier used to make their historic observations.  Consider the exploits of
> noted Californian observer Jay Reynolds Freeman who recently completed the Herschel 400 with
> a 55mm Vixen refractor!  Also, there are a number of DSO's that are too large to appreciate
> with the typical field of view of larger instruments.  Here a rich-field telescope works
> wonders.  However, for every large object there are thousands of small, dim objects that
> require large apertures and high magnifications.  On the other hand, planetary and lunar
> observing don't require a 30" Dob.
>
> As far as high end equipment goes, it is a fact that telescope manufacturers make their real
> profits in the low end market through high volume.
>
> Beginners do have other options than buying department store junk.  They can join an
> astronomy club and use club scopes if available.  They can learn the sky with binoculars.
> They can build their own telescopes.  And there are a few good inexpensive starter scopes
> available.
>
> If magazine subscriptions are any indication there are more amateur astronomers today than
> ever before.
>
> Dave Mitsky
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
> http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

Follow-Ups: References: