[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) [SHALLOW] Options for Beginners, etc.

I think there's no question that smaller-aperture scopes, even in (far)
less than optimal skies, can be a thrill to observe with! If you doubt
it, just check out some of the observing logs in our Archive: done with
instruments from 7x35 binoculars, up to the "monstrous" AstroScans and
4.5" Newtonians, and on up to inexpensive 5" refractors, 6" dobs, and
(not so inexpensive!) 7" Maksutovs... Heck, for that matter, check out
some of Steve Coe's, Nick's, Yann's, Penny's (and my) fascinating logs,
done with nothing fancier than a good pair of eyes!

The real key is not so much what you look through, as how much you are
able to stop and SEE - and log - when you do! And this very idea that
you can "learn how to see" the deep-sky better is what IAAC is about!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <owner-netastrocatalog@latrade.com>