[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: Jonckherre 320 - Inst: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount

Forgive me, guys - between the constant blast of meteor emails recently,
and struggling to get my meteor data for the year all logged in, I have
neglected to read all of the posts going over IAAC. As a result I'm just
coming into this interesting thread!

I had the occasion to observe M1-92 for the first time this Summer, at
the Summer Star Party in the Berkshire Mountains of West Massachusetts.
I've been intrigued by this little fainty ever since I first noticed it
plotted in computer skycharting software several years ago. Until that
one very transparent night at SSP though, I'd never managed to see it
with my 20". But having carefully plotted it on the "D series" charts
of my AstroAtlas that week, I managed to locate it with careful star-
hopping. I confirmed it (only just) with the UHC filter, and shared the
view with a couple of my (all-too-near) neighbors on the SSP field.

I'd have to agree with Owen that Minkowski's Footprint (M1-92) is not
really stellar - in fact, at 360x in the 20" for me, "small but diffuse"
might be a better description. Also, I found that it responded somewhat
to the UHC, though not showing noticeable improvement with an OIII. In
NONE of these views though, could I clearly discern it's classic shape.

By the way, the last I read was that the Footprint actually falls in
the weird class of "proto-planetary" nebulae - like many of its fellow
bipolar nebulae, it exhibits some of the characteristics of both an
emission/reflection nebula, and a classical planetary. The theory (I
surmise) is that it may be on it's way to becoming a true planetary.

Clear skies all!
Lew

>I think you are correct. The Footprint nebula or M1-92 is a reflection
>nebula with two halfs one brighter than the other. It has never looked
>stellar to me. Campbells star almost always does and is one of the few PN's
>that does not respond well to an OIII filter having almost no OIII emission
>
> At 09:44 17/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dave,
> >
> >I've done J320 and J900 with my 10" and they certainly are little guys.
> >Another pair of small "planetary nebulae" in Cygnus are Campbell's Star and
> >the Footprint Nebula with the latter being the most stellar of the whole
> >bunch.  While the Footprint is often listed as a planetary nebula, I believe
> >it is actually a reflection nebula.
> >
> >Clear skies,  Sue

Follow-Ups: References: