[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: Jonckherre 320 - Inst: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount

Lew,

You're the second person who has said that the Footprint doesn't look
stellar.  When I said that it was the most stellar of the bunch, I was
referring to the fact that I passed it over on two different nights with my
10" scope at 219x.  Then I looked up some information about the Footprint,
found out that it was very small, and decided t try it with higher
magnifications.  It turns out that I had observed the Footprint on both
previous occasions, but had mistaken it for a star.

Here is my logged observation from when I finally saw it through the 10" at
319x and 394x:  Can just tell this nebula is non-stellar at 319x.  It is
clearer at 392x, but the seeing begins to blur the stars.  The nebula is
tiny, fairly bright, slightly oval, with an even smaller, fainter, roundish
patch close to the SE.  9.8 magntude star preceding.  At low powers the
Footprint looks like a star.

The other three nebulas that I mentioned did not require such high powers to
pick them out.

Clear skies,  Sue