[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Burnout or Extinction - Which Will Come First? - Please respond!

From the May 1994 issue of Sky & Telescope:

"... I.-Juliana Sackmann and Kathleen E. Kraemer (Caltech), along with
Arnold I. Boothroyd (University of Toronto), calculated new evolutionary
mdels of the Sun from Birth to present. ...

... In another 1.1 billion years it will be 10 percent more luminous than
now.  This is the amount required to cause a catastrophic greenhoue effect
on Earth ... .  However, this model largely neglects the effects of clouds
which should delay the onset of runaway heating."

The slowing of the Earth's rotation will have little effect on this time
scale.

Clear skies,  Sue