[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: beta Ori (Rigel) - Inst: Orion 6" Dob

William,

Congratulations a lot for your split of Rigel. You tried it several times, and I'm happy to see that you succeded.

So what do you think made it successful? It HAS to be the conditions, as I've used a similar configuration (26 mm on a barlow with an 8 inch mirror) and not gotten a split!

Penny,

The conditions are a lot more important than the used telescope. Yesterday I was observing some doubles in Orion under ugly skies: So much fog that nobody would use a telescope. Using naked eye, I only could see Rigel, Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka and Betelgeuse, and with a lot of efforts, but the seeing was about 7-8 (in a 0-10 scale)!. Using my Ranger I was able to split Mintaka and Alnitak (hard), and also Sigma was visible (although only as a double system).

Also, maybe cheking the collimation of your Dob you can get the "Rigel-Split". Best of luck!

Luis Arguelles
http://members.tripod.com/~whuyss/33/33_orion.html	("33 in Orion" result's page)
whuyss@tripod.net