[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (IAAC) Object: Sharpless 2-242 (LBN 826) - Instrument: 18" F4.9 Dob

Lew,

The object is prominently located about 2.6 degrees southeast of Simeis 147
in Megastar. Megastar lists the 2nd Sharpless catalog as the information
source. Checking my copy of Nekel and Vehrenberg's "Atlas Galaktischer
Nebel" (AGN) Volume 1, page 80, lists it as GN. 05.48.7 and a HII region.
Other designations also listed are MRSL 68, DG 83/84; designations with
which I'm not very familiar.  Page 80 carries a picture from the Palomar
POSS series in red light and shows the object clearly. The object is not
listed in either the Deep Sky Field Guide, Uranometria 2000, nor Sky Catalog
2000. It is listed in Lynd's 1965 catalog of Bright Nebulae as LBN 826
although Megastar only references LBN 826, whereas the AGN references both
LBN 826 and 827.

Dave Riddle (mailto:driddle941@aol.com) has done a significant amount of
work with the various galactic nebuale catalogs and might be able to provide
definitive information.

Additionally, Murray Cragin (mailto:murastro@fwb.gulf.net), one of the
authors of "The Deep Sky Field Guide" and NDSOS member, might also be able
to provide more recent information.

By the way, I listed the object as a reflection nebula, but according to the
Megastar listing and my own notes, its an emission nebula; a mistake in my
posting.

Cheers!

Art Russell

Atlanta, Georgia

mailto:artrussell@mindspring.com
http://Education.gsu.edu/spehar/

Member National Deep Sky Observers Society (NDSOS), Webb Society, and
Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers (ALPO)

"Sight is a faculty; seeing, an art" - George Perkins Marsh