[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) re. NGC 4216

This is really a very nice gnear edge on galaxy. I think it would be an
excellent target for a good sized scope at a really dark sky site.
Especially so as, while observing it, I got tantalising glimpses of much
better defined structure than I reported. In particular there appeared to be
quite well defined spiral arms on the north side of the nucleus. Although
this was before I had seen any photographs of the galaxy; I am too aware of
the possibility of cranial artefacts to claim definite sightings so it would
be interesting to hear other peoples observations. BTW it is quite fun to
stretch the DSS image of this galaxy laterally to get an impression of what
it would look like more face on.
Addendum. I did not observe this with an 8" apeture, that was a carryover on
my form.
Nick
Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
 Latitude 55 24'56" Longtitude 4 26' 00".
"Eppur si muove" Galileo Galilei