[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) eyepiece suggestions

Harold, in my 35 years experience I'll tell you the ONLY advantage of 2"
eyepieces is in low power work.  When you get above 25mm or so is the only
consideration you should think about 2".  The only exception I can think of
is possibly the 20mm Nager, and only because it has such a huge apparent
field of view, and therefore a very large field lens.

I have a 40mm Meade SWA as well as a 35mm Panoptic.  The Pan is great, but
you know what?  I have the 40mm University 2" MK-70 Konig eyepiece which
beats them both in my 16" f/6.2, and it's "only" $195. That's not cheap,
but it sure beats $350 for the 35mm Panoptic!  Another nicety is it's
threaded on both be barrel and front for filters.

If you want exquisite eyepieces for planetary work try Brandon.  They are
the best I've found. Realize, though they only have a 50-degree apparent,
and are threaded only for their filters.  BUT, their color filters are
better than anyone else's.  The Brandon high powers are terrific, and deep
sky filters are not effective at high power, so you don't have to worry.

Kent Blackwell
Virginia Beach, VA