[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) eyepiece suggestions

>I would like to get people's opinions about something. I am finally
>about to buy a Meade 12" LX200. I want to get a good 2" eyepiece to go
>with it. I'm not sure what to get. I'm torn between going for high power
>or a wider field of view eyepiece.
>
>I already have several 1 1/4" eyepieces that I've been quite happy with
>on my current scope. I assume I will be able to use them on the new one.
>They are:
>
>1. 40mm Sirius Plossl
>2. 26mm Meade Plossl
>3. 20mm Meade Research wide angle
>4. 9mm Lanthanum
>5. 3x Apogee Barlow
>
>Given what I already have, what size and style of 2" eyepiece would you
>buy if you could only afford one? I'd like an eyepiece that will be good
>for general use. I enjoy viewing the moon, planets, and deep sky
>objects. I doubt if there is one that is perfect for everything but
>would like one with good balance for different objects.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Harold Williams
>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/subscribe.html

Harold,

I would replace the 40mm Sirius Ploessl with a 40mm Pentax SMC XL or, at a
lesser cost, the excellent University Optics 40mm MK-70.  The MK-70 will
give you almost the same TFOV as a 55mm Ploessl at higher power and with a
darker field.  A 35mm Tele Vue Panoptic would also be nice but, ouch, the
price!

You might also want to consider replacing the Lanthanum with an 8 or 10mm T
V Radian or perhaps a 14mm Radian if you'd plan on using it with the 3x
Barlow lens.

Dave Mitsky
ASH, DVAA