[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) eyepiece suggestions

Matthew,

How is the edge of field performance of the 40mm Meade SWA when the f/6.3 focal reducer is in use?

I have a 32mm SWA and I notice astigmatism with an f/6.5 Newtonian.

Dave Mitsky

Matthew Wilder wrote:

If you are looking to do any deepsky observing or in particular any astrophotography, your next consideration for purchase may be the f/6.3 focal reducer (the 12" is only offered in f/10) for an indescribably detailed image and short exposure times. Try one out if you can, and you'll see just how much this reducer can bring out the potential and optical quality of this instrument.

I don't know which manufacturer's eyepieces you are currently considering, but I would suggest both the wide field and the high power eyepieces if at all possible (for versatility). If that is not possible, consider purchasing the 40mm Meade Super Wide 2" eyepiece and use it in conjunction with the f/6.3 for a field of view that is 60% greater than the standard f/10 and more than twice as bright.

Follow-Ups: References: